My mom made this killer grilled vegetable salad while I was home visiting a couple weeks ago and I just couldn't wait to add it to our rotation at home. Last Sunday, it was a beautiful summer night with just the right amount of breeze, so the hubs and I had an impromptu dinner on the patio. I don't know why we don't use it more often, but I've decided I'm going to make a point of it to get out there more.
Anyway, burgers were on the menu and I thought this would be a healthier alternative to fries, chips, or the other typical items paired with burgers. Here's what you need for 2 people:
- 6-8 large portobello mushroom caps
- 1 red bell pepper cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 sweet or red onion, quarter and separate
- 1/2 cup of avocado oil- I use this for its high smoke point when grilling
- juice from 2 fresh limes
- 2 tbsp of grill seasoning- I used Trader's Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute because it has zero sodium, we put this stuff on EVERYTHING
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 avocado cubed
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese (feta would be a nice substitute)
- salt and pepper to taste- for me, the cheese provides enough of the savory flavor, so I skip the salt
- 2 tbsp of chopped basil
- Whisk oil, lime, grill seasoning, garlic and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
- Place mushrooms, peppers, onion in a ziploc bag and cover with the marinade. Seal and shake the bag to adequately coat all the vegetables. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Put the vegetables on skewers and reserve remaining marinade.
- Grill for about 5 minutes, or until desired doneness.
- Transfer veggies onto a large platter. Whisk remaining marinade with balsamic vinegar and pour over vegetables.
- Top with avocado and goat cheese and sprinkle with basil.
We topped off the meal with some grilled sweet corn and it was the perfect meal for a summer weekend!
I couldn't resist adding this pic of our critters salivating while we ate. Oh the desperation! Have a great week everyone!